Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2019

When it Rains, It Pours . . . A Review of Vera Greentea's Grimoire Noir


In an era where comics are cool and darkness reigns supreme, Grimoire Noir, the thrilling crime/fantasy graphic novel by Vera Greentea, is the perfect book for a leisurely read.

Let me admit that I'm by no means a graphic novel aficionado. I read them now and then, but no more than five a year and they really have to sound different and exciting to catch my eye. Grimoire Noir is worthy on both counts.  It's a fast read and with elements like witchcraft, mystery, dark themes and overtones, and some detective work, it immediately made me think of such tv dramas as Riverdale and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Not only are some of the obvious aspects there--witchcraft, especially--there are also a lot of similarities in theme: the lure of power, good and evil, cliquishness, etc.

The darkness of the artwork was very appealing and it was the art that really set the book apart. Just in case anyone reading this review is unfamiliar with the crime noir genre, noir is by nature a darker type of mystery genre. Now, noir is typically categorized by the bleakness/cynicism of the characters and I don't think that part necessarily fits: each of these characters was very hopeful about something and they were all motivated by potential. I like this subversion from the norm, though; it puts a spin on the old conventions while still staying true to the artistry. Very enjoyable!

Essentially, the plot line of the story is this: a young man lives in a town where all the girls have magical powers and all the boys are normal. His little sister has a lot of power, which has led someone to kidnap her. His dad is caught between a rock and a hard place in terms of the investigation due to the town politics and so our protagonist is tasked with saving the day.

I will say that there were times when this story line fell a bit short for me, not because it wasn't entertaining and not because it didn't have a good backstory, but just because I wanted so much more depth. There were a lot of plot lines and while Greentea does follow every thread at some point, none of the subplots were explored in enough depth to make me feel satisfied. I don't know if this is a standalone or not--the book ends with closure, but also with the potential for more--but if it is a standalone, I would be very disappointed as I feel that there is a lot of story left untold. Even if it is going to be part of a series, many of the things I feel were only shallowly explored were super relevant to this plot line and should have been explored more thoroughly here, not saved as fodder for number two. That lack of depth is what makes me think this book would definitely be better suited to a tween or very young teenager than a more seasoned reader.

Overall, my rating of this book would really vary. For an adult or even young adult reader, I'd say this is a 3.5 star (out of 5) book: good, enjoyable, but to surface to be truly great. For  a middle grade reader? Solid 4. Definitely stands apart from similar books.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC I was given in exchange for my fair and honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment