Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

This Book IS the One: A Review of Keris Stainton's The One Who's Not the One


Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC I was provided in exchange for my fair and honest review.

Let me set the stage: it was late. I had read yet another book of my favorite genre (thriller) only to be totally disappointed by the predictability and cliches. I decided it was time to branch out more, to make a push towards other genres of reading. This book, The One Who's Not the One, sounded like it was the exact book to expand my horizons.

It's a cute book. Honestly, if I sit here and write that it's an epic love story or a moving drama or something that makes it seem deep, you'll be disappointed. It's a fun, quick read that gives you a warm feeling when you read it.

Cat, the protagonist, is a fun, youngish (maybe, I don't actually know except that she's past college: maybe late twenties?) former stand-up comedian. She's a sweet person with a big heart, but she has "Daddy Issues." Because her father abandoned her as a child . . . or did he??? . . . she is afraid to put faith in love and pushes away anyone who gets too close.

Enter an unexpected love story.

Because of the kind of book it is, it's not a spoiler to say that there's a cute, happy feeling that will leave you feeling sort of sappy and happy. The plot is pretty basic, but there's some pretty adorable humor in it that sets it apart from the more generic romance offering. It's NOT a smut book, but there are definitely a handful of PG-13 scenes between our protagonist and her dimpled paramour.

Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment