Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2018

All that was Lost by Alison May

Thank you Net Galley for the ARC of All that was Lost in exchange for a fair and honest review.



All the was Lost by Alison May is a generational story of loss and redemption. Basically. There's obviously more to it than that and, actually, no one gets redeemed, but I think there's hope.  Maybe it's about three people who have all lost loved ones and have struggled with how and whether to move on. Yes, that's more correct.

So, it's the second book I've read this month that was about a psychic. With The Winter's Child, the psychic was maybe real; our psychic, Patrice Leigh, is most assuredly not. In fact. as we find out, there is almost nothing real about Patrice. She is basically a construct to deal with the losses of youth.

I'm just going to be blunt: what's with books lately? I know it's not me because I've read several I just loved, but there have been far more books that are truly well written, well thought out, but absolutely fail to interest me at all. This is another one of those. With this one, though, I can easily pinpoint the cause: the characters are dull as dishwater. None of the characters have any development at all and, for those who seem to be confused, living through a trauma does not, in and of itself, develop a character. Patrice has no personality; she loves a boy named Charlie with attractive eyes. We know nothing else about him. Leo loved Marnie, but now that there son is gone, he has become absent from life. Louise's son was murdered and she feels nothing. That's it. Why should I be invested in characters that are so flat just because they're described as living through pain?  I need more and it's just not there.

3/5. Just okay. You won't regret reading it, but you won't miss much if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment