Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2018

Review of The Perfect Liar by Thomas Christopher Greene


Thank you to Net Galley for this ARC I as given in exchange for my fair and honest review.

I feel like I should give a disclaimer before I get into my review: I'm getting really sick with the trend (if you can call it a trend since there doesn't seem to be an end in sight) that has been popular in thriller for the last few years  of making the main characters as despicable as you possibly can. As I mentioned in an earlier review on this blog, I'm not one of those people who needs to like the main characters; I agree that many of the most well-written fictional characters of all time have been just awful. Having said that, there's a difference between making developed well-rounded characters that happen to have some truly gross and disturbing traits (pedophilia, abuse, etc.) and just seeing which character in your story will be more morally bankrupt. This was the main problem I had with The Perfect Liar; while I believe there are many selfish, dishonest narcissists in the world, I have a problem when everyone is the book is similarly awful to sociopathic levels because it's just not believable. It's the same as when everyone is portrayed as a saint: most people are gray.

That said, many of the themes in this book are important ones, particularly the way abuse is handled. Susannah goes from an obviously abusive husband to a more subtly abusive one, which I think is something that happens a lot; people who have been abused are so happy that there partner isn't as bad as the last one, they don't see the glaring warning signs. Max, who is extremely opportunistic, hones in on Susannah quickly and a perfect storm of toxic marriage begins. It's a sad story, but one that feels totally authentic. Truth be told, the sub plots of murder and the whole "thriller" aspect is far less interesting than this very human one: the descent that manipulation causes in their marriage is more interesting than some notes that come from an unknown source.

My last complaint is I wish we saw more of Freddy. I know that his absence is kind of the point; his isolated, sullen teen boy nature hides the complicated dynamic between he and his mother. Still, I think there should be something a reader can grasp, some signs of what's to come when a story is finished. The relationship between Susannah and Freddy turns out to be a pretty huge plot point and I'd loved it if that relationship was explored in more depth. It might have also humanized Susannah a bit more and let's face it: that would have been a welcome addition.

Overall, this is a fine read, if one that could use a little more depth. 3.5/5. 



No comments:

Post a Comment